The flame of volunteerism keeps on blazing for the Read-at-Home program as DepEd Sarangani and Mindanao State University College of Education sign a memorandum of understanding for the deployment of 41 Bachelor in Elementary Education students as volunteer tutors.
Said students shall be serving Malungon Central Elementary School, Alabel Central Integrated SPED Center, Policarpio H. Millona Integrated School, Jose Ah Young Integrated School, Maasim Central Elementary School and Fermin Fuster Elementary School.
Here are the roles and responsibilities of the volunteer tutor as well as the conditions that they must meet:
- Living in the Municipality or the community where the school is located
- Cooperate with the assigned teacher facilitator
- Handle maximum of 5 learners only.
- Submit reports needed to the Facilitating Teacher.
- Prepare daily journal on the experiences of being a student-teacher.
- Prepare and assist cooperating teacher in the preparation of materials.
- Attend meetings and trainings to be conducted for the learning delivery.
- Abide by the health and safety protocols.
- Be vaccinated.
It was also agreed that the Federation of Elementary Educators shall act as team leaders.
The volunteer tutors shall conduct tutorial sessions during the remaining weeks of the fourth quarter of this school year as well as during the Brigada Pagbasa during the academic break.
Alternate Reading Coordinator John Jerson Constantino extended his thanks to the volunteers and reminded them to still follow safety protocols in the conduct of tutorial sessions as the pandemic is still not yet over.
Prior to their deployment, the volunteers attended a seminar on various strategies in teaching reading as well as on becoming an effective tutor.